- One serving of Oatmeal, cooked on the stove-top preferably, according to package instructions
- 1 cup of skim milk (or amount designated on oatmeal package)
- 1/2 cup of fruit (blueberries or chopped bananas are my favorite)
- 1-2 tbsp sliced unsalted almonds
- 2 tbsp unsalted cashews
- Pinch of cinnamon to taste
- Pinch of cardamom to taste
- Optional: Ground flaxseed and sunflower seeds
Make the oatmeal per package instructions using skim milk instead of water as the base (use Lactaid if you have lactose intolerance). If you have the opportunity, try to make it on the stove-top because using the microwave lessens the nutritive value*. Near the end of cooking, stir in your fruit (either a half of a sliced banana or a half cup of blueberries or other fruit). You can also stir in your nuts at that time, to heat them and get them just a touch soft. Tap in a bit of cardamom and cinnamon to taste, pour into a bowl. Serve with a glass of low fat plain Kefir or a yummy warm beverage of your choice (I love Ghiradelli cocoa in hot unsweetened vanilla almond milk).
Here's my breakfast. Yummy! You're worth spending the time making a good breakfast!
*Studies show microwaves drastically reduce nutrients. http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/studies-show-microwaves-drastically-reduce-nutrients-food