In this lesson plan (one of 45 weekly lesson plans I created for my daughter Lexi for age 2 & 3), you'll find a complete, organized, easy to read and easy to implement homeschool toddler and preschool age curriculum to teach with the theme PURPLE.
Materials Needed (Make, Find, Substitute or Buy)
- Books for the theme (see suggestions)
- Letters G & H sensory tubs
- Purple objects from around the house
- Geometric shapes
- Coloring pages for the theme (see suggestions)
- Sensory Tub: A "media" for your sensory bin or sand/water table (purple colored rice or purple gift bag stuffing,etc), various purple items (an amethyst rock would be nice, if you have a girl, perhaps a Sofia the First figurine, etc).
- Tissue flowers: Purple tissue paper, few pipe cleaners (preferably green, but any color is fine) and a few beads
- Grocery Store: Grapes, purple flowers (if you don't purchase the flowers, you can talk about them when you walk by with your little one)
- Purple balloons
Suggested Daily Messages
- Grapes are purple.
- The iris flower (or African Violet, etc) is purple.
- An amethyst is purple.
Story Time Suggestions (find at library or order here)
- What Shape is a Grape? Christy Webster
- The Giggling Grapes, Nancy Parent
- Harold and the Purple Crayon, Crockett Johnson
- Up, Up, Up a Purple Hill (Children's Shapes, Colors, and Numbers Book), C. Jamian Yves
- Purple (Colors Books), Sarah L. Schuette
- Ollie the Purple Elephant, Jarrett J. Krosoczka
- Purple Hair, I Don’t Care”, Dianne Young
- I’m a Little Purple Grape song sung to the tune of I’m a Little Teapot (see lyrics from Preschool Express here)
Weekly Centers (10 bins and 2 shelves to refresh w/ “new” material weekly)
Language Centers (2 bins & sensory tub updated weekly)
- Theme Book Bin (Bin 1 - Medium Size): Gather the theme books for use at Circle Time. After circle time, make the books accessible for independent perusal.
- Language Bin (Bin 2 - Smaller Size): Letters G & H sensory tubs (make them or purchase here. These are an investment but are such an incredible tool - my little one positively loves these! Consider as a Christmas or Birthday gift.)
- Sensorial Bin (Bin 3): Purple objects and toys from around the house
- Sensorial Bin (Bin 4): Geometric shapes set here), categorize by color.
- Sensory Tub / Sand & Water Table or Bin (Bin 5 - Large): Purple themed bin. Recreate this example from The Chaos and the Clutter blog.\
- Random smattering of purple toys, purple items, purple stuffed animals, etc. Be creative! An amethyst and a Sofia the First doll are ideas.
- Practical Life Bin (Bin 9): Thread Cheerios onto purple pipe cleaners.
- Cooking: Try grape popsicles, and grapes
- Math Bin (Bin 10): Count grapes as you eat them together. Use grapes as a counter in a clean ice cube tray - or do a Montessori tong exercise with the grapes (see example of concept here).
- Read Up, Up, Up a Purple Hill counting book.
Permanent Bins / Shelves
Gross Motor (1 permanent bin or basket)
- Purple balloon from the grocery store - play volleyball together (you can sometimes get the plain balloons free from the grocery store, at least at ours!)
- Blowing bubbles outside.
Tidy up your permanent toy “exhibit” areas, for example, the “library” center, and other general shelves and toy boxes, etc.
Get out of the house several times a week for the following:
- Library or bookstore
- Other: __________
Check out Lexi's other Age 2 unit studies!
UNIT 1 - Colors
UNIT 2 - Shapes
- Triangles - coming soon!
- Rectangles - coming soon!
- Ovals - coming soon!
- Diamonds - coming soon!
- Stars - coming soon!
- Crescents - coming soon!
- Hearts - coming soon!
UNIT 3 - Animals
- Dogs - coming soon!
- Cats - coming soon!
- Birds - coming soon!
- Fish - coming soon!
- Bunnies - coming soon!
- Cows - coming soon!
- Chickens - coming soon!
- Horses - coming soon!
- Pigs - coming soon!
UNIT 4 - All About Me
- Eyes - coming soon!
- Nose - coming soon!
- Ears - coming soon!
- Mouth - coming soon!
- Legs & Feet - coming soon!
- Fingers & Hands - coming soon!
- Meal Time - coming soon!
- My Family - coming soon!
- Bath Time (and Hand Washing) - coming soon!
UNIT 5 - Seasonal (intersperse throughout your calendar year)
- Penguins (January) - coming soon!
- Friends (February) - coming soon!
- Flowers (March) - coming soon!
- Easter Eggs (April) - coming soon!
- Beach (June, July or August) - coming soon!
- Harvest (September) - coming soon!
- Pumpkins (October) - coming soon!
- Turkeys (November) - coming soon!
- Santa / Christmas Theme (December) - coming soon!