In this lesson plan (one of 45 weekly themed lesson plans I created for my daughter Lexi for age 2 and 3), you'll find a complete, organized, easy to read and easy to implement homeschool preschool age 2 and 3 (24-48 months) curriculum to teach with the theme ORANGE.
Materials This Week (Find, Make, Substitute or Buy)
- Weekly themed bulletin board and your cutouts (see below suggestions)
- Book selections for the week
- Coloring pages for the week (see suggestions here)
- G&H Letter tubs (or other G & H teaching material like flashcards, sandpaper letters, or various things collected around the house that start with these letters)
- Orange figurines and animals for the theme shelf
- Velcro dressing frame
- Counting Cans learning toy or other counting activity
- Supplies for Monarch butterfly “mirror image” craft. Modify this one here from Kid World Citizen.
- Orange streamers
- Bean bags / cones
Suggested Cutouts This Week(Make these cutouts for your weekly themed “bulletin board”. You’ll use these visual aids throughout the week. Find these on the web, print & laminate them (recommended). Store them for use in creating future bulletin boards! Currently I keep mine in a gallon sized plastic bag but eventually I will store them in an A-Z accordion file. These will be reused so often so make your collection as you go!
- Sun or Sunset
- Pumpkin (a helpful cutout you'll reuse for your October bulletin boards)
- Monarch butterfly
- Goldfish (you'll use this one in the Fish theme too)
Our Circle Time Sequence
- One song or fingerplay to quiet / focus the little one(s)
- What is today? (date, weather labels) (For age two this is rather quick as they don't really understand this yet but still nice for routine's sake)
- Today's message
- Review one letter (usually using the letter tubs, a sandpaper letter, flashcard or similar)
- Review one number (count to it)
- Songs - a few for fun
- Story time - using the week's theme selections
Suggested Daily Message:
- [Tigers, oranges, butterflies, carrots etc] are orange.
Language and Story Time Suggestions
Book Basket (Bin 1) (Search library or use these here).
- The Pumpkin Patch Parable, Liz Curtis Higgs
- Orange (Color Books), Sarah L. Schuette
- The Big Orange Splot, D. Manus Pinkwater
- No David!, David Shannon
- The Busy Little Squirrel, Nancy Tafuri
- One Fine Day, Nonny Hogrogiano
- A Monarch Butterfly’s Life, John Himmelman
- The Orange Song (see YouTube video here)
Language Bin (Bin 2)
- Letters G & H sensory tubs. (An awesome investment for a birthday or Christmas, my little one loves these!)
Sensorial (2 bins & 1 sensory tub to update weekly)
- Sensorial Bin (Bin 3): Orange toys from around the house. Fall leaves if available.
- Sensorial Bin (Bin 4): Monarch butterfly figurines (see options in the supplies link above)
- Sensory Tub (Bin 5 - Large): Small pumpkins, leaves, oranges, etc).
- Orange stuffed animals, like lions, snakes, etc. Orange balls, etc.
- Coloring Bin (Bin 6, Teacher Access Only): Orange tree, monarch butterfly, and pumpkin coloring pages. (See coloring pages ideas here)
- Arts & Crafts Bin (Bins 7 & 8, Teacher Access Only): Supplies for Monarch butterfly “mirror image” craft. Modify this one here from Kid World Citizen.
- Practical Life Bin (Bin 9): Introduce velcro dressing frame like this one.
- Cooking: Oranges orange juice, mac & cheddar cheese etc.
- Math Bin (Bin 10):Learning Resources “counting cans” - the fifth can has five mandarin oranges. (Supervise - smallish pieces).
- Orange streamers - dance to your favorite music after circle time
- Orange bean bags and cones - set up an obstacle course or tossing game.
Check out Lexi's other Age 2 unit studies!
UNIT 1 - Colors
UNIT 2 - Shapes
- Triangles - coming soon!
- Rectangles - coming soon!
- Ovals - coming soon!
- Diamonds - coming soon!
- Stars - coming soon!
- Crescents - coming soon!
- Hearts - coming soon!
UNIT 3 - Animals
- Dogs - coming soon!
- Cats - coming soon!
- Birds - coming soon!
- Fish - coming soon!
- Bunnies - coming soon!
- Cows - coming soon!
- Chickens - coming soon!
- Horses - coming soon!
- Pigs - coming soon!
UNIT 4 - All About Me
- Eyes - coming soon!
- Nose - coming soon!
- Ears - coming soon!
- Mouth - coming soon!
- Legs & Feet - coming soon!
- Fingers & Hands - coming soon!
- Meal Time - coming soon!
- My Family - coming soon!
- Bath Time (and Hand Washing) - coming soon!
UNIT 5 - Seasonal (intersperse throughout your calendar year)
- Penguins (January) - coming soon!
- Friends (February) - coming soon!
- Flowers (March) - coming soon!
- Easter Eggs (April) - coming soon!
- Beach (June, July or August) - coming soon!
- Harvest (September) - coming soon!
- Pumpkins (October) - coming soon!
- Turkeys (November) - coming soon!
- Santa / Christmas Theme (December) - coming soon!